I love it when scripture comes alive! (That’s what happened to me sitting in a church here in Somerset West yesterday.)
The preacher spoke about John chapter 9. Here are the verses that got me thinking:
ARE YOU APPROACHABLE?
“20 “We know he is our son,” the parents answered, “and we know he was born blind. 21 But how he can see now, or who opened his eyes, we don’t know. Ask him. He is of age; he will speak for himself.” 22 His parents said this because they were afraid of the Jewish leaders, who already had decided that anyone who acknowledged that Jesus was the Messiah would be put out of the synagogue.”
– if you are a church leader / deacon (or whatever) – are you approachable? Or are people scared of you?
– what religion do you live out? Is it one, that calls others to fear you? Surely, that is destructible?!
Basically, the religious uptight – kills the soul!
THE BRILLIANT CHEEK:
27 He answered, “I have told you already and you did not listen. Why do you want to hear it again? Do you want to become his disciples too?” 28 Then they hurled insults at him…
– If he spoke, out of pure ignorance (and innocence) – the pharisees (Sanhedrin)’s reply must have confused this poor “once was blind guy.”
He was probably thinking: ‘Gosh, why do they hate this guy so much? He seems pretty swell. After all, he did heal me and all.’
– If he was being cheeky in his reply, it was brilliant! “what’s with all the questions about Jesus? You want to be a follower?” Haha! It just made me chuckle. Anyone else see the humour in it?
KEEP IT SIMPLE:
“25 He replied, “Whether he is a sinner or not, I don’t know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!”
– Less is more.
– Keep it simple.
– What does the process or “how to” matter?
– I was blind, but now I see…
I was lost, but now I am found….
I was scared, but now I am brave…
I had no purpose, now I have life…
You get the idea.
Faith is a life thing. Not a discussion!